Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Hops Crisis

I don't want to instill a riot at your local homebrew shop but I thought I would pass this along to the homebrewers out there that read this forum. I just got word from one of my suppliers what their hop supply looks like until next year's harvest. It isn't good gang and this is one of the largest suppliers to homebrew shops in the country. The largest homebrew shop is already out of many hops and we haven't hardly got done with this years harvest, not good. So here is what I can get right now and this list will probably not grow. I would contact your local shop and buy what you can now for the year.

These are just pellet hops, leaf are much less in supply.

Cascade
Cluster
GR Hersbrucker
Liberty
Mt. Hood
US Saaz
GR Spalt

So get them while you can and don't expect to make many IPAs this year. HA!! Looks like we are going to see a lot of beers with good malt character, at least that is what I am going to focus on .

This sucks!

3 comments:

CJ said...

Liberty, Mt. Hood, Hersbrucker...etc. I suppose you all need to start brewing up some lagers and German ales. I actually really like those style of hops. The American C hops and Amarillo are very nice, but trust me there is nothing wrong with more subdued hops.

BTW, I have about 1 lb of Amarillo from the 2006 crop that I will sell for 100.00 dollars...ha ha ha.

Peace out

Nate B. said...

This has changed a little but now my supplier is asking for an estimate of my hop purchase and then come Dec. I will be asked to purchase all of the hops I need for the year or at least commit to what I need. The list had some C hops on there and CZ Saaz and a few others but who knows how many I will get. I will keep you abreast of this situation but I would figure out what you need and contact your homebrew shop so that they are prepared for your business.

brendan said...

I have made some nice and hoppy pale ales with Cluster, and that's one of the hops in LunaSea ESB.


don't forget that Malt prices just doubled too. SO... Even "malty" beers will be impacted.
I bet braggots and other adjunct driven beers will be seen more often, at least in the next 2 years.

Brendan/ioniaales.com