Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A great article by an imbecile that knows nothing about beer

These things are starting to become more prevalent as the craft beer market starts to grow but the written gems in this article are priceless. Let's start with this common thread in a lot of these types of articles.
"Young adults' buying patterns have changed," says Centennial senior vice president Ron Cockerham. "The second- generation baby boomers are more image-conscious and want to purchase brands that project a positive or cool image."
Ok, so this is from a large distributor in Dallas so you can get the idea here but come on. While I agree that some of this is occurring, dismissing the sector because they want to project a cool image is not wholly correct and is rather demeaning to true "geeks" that want a flavorful beer. This point is driven home when you read further on the beers that "they" like to drink.

Among the coolest right now are craft beers Blue Moon Belgian White and Fat Tire Amber Ale, both Belgian-style ales made in Colorado.
and this gem.

With a lot of today's craft beers, squeezing a wedge of orange or lemon into the drink is de rigueur. Orange brings out the orange peel that's part of Blue Moon's formula, and Widmer Hefeweizen, another trendy wheat brew that's made in Oregon, pitches the virtues of a lemon slice on its Web site.

That's not such a leap, when you consider the tradition of serving lime with Mexican beers such as the ever-popular Corona, Dos Equis and Tecate. Heineken and Heineken Light also are hot imports, Mr. Calhoun says. Mr. Cockerham adds Stella Artois, another Belgian, to the list.

Ok, so there is so much wrong with these statements, from a geeks standpoint, it isn't even funny, BUT there is some truth to it I suppose. While those that are doing this to be trendy will drink these beers listed, and add fruit to look cool or because the bartendar told them too, it doesn't mean that the craft beer growth we have seen is "trendy" or "cool" like the Zima craze of 1993.
It reminds me of quote recently from the CEO of Miller, I believe, where he mentioned that craft beer is just a "fad." Sure, it will be a fad for some but what will happen to many of those people that have a Blue Moon, out of trying to look cool, will learn that beer can have flavor and will try something else and so on. They won't go back to Miller, they won't drink their alcopops, they will seek out great beer.
So when I see articles like this written in such a dismissive way it chaps my hide knowing that I don't drink the beer I drink to be trendy, I don't homebrew to be trendy and I don't write this blog to be trendy. I do these things because I love great beer and I think others should see the light too.

Sorry for the rant.

8 comments:

a beer sort of girl said...

"Please don't hate me because I'm trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend."

Obscure mid-nineties bad keeps popping into my head with that chorus.

Hey, anytime there is a shift in what the MASSES are consuming, the media speaks in generalities. They don't mean to insult you. You're like the indie music nerd. You liked 'em before they went mainstream. And you'll like them still when others have moved on to the next shiny object.

To truly love beer is to watch, with great amusement, those people that put orange slices in their beers sincerely. Because really, when you think about it, it's really kind of funny.

Cheers!

Nick S. said...

Thanks for the comments, Sara and Nate.

I don't let these "generalized" articles get to me too much, simply because they aren't written for the true beer lovers. However, I do believe they need to have their facts straight...like Nate mentioned about the Omaha World Herald article on Empyrean. I guess I would say it's a step in the right direction for the craft beer scene, but it's still going to take many more years before people open their eyes.

I personally, make it my duty to educate people on quality beer. I always offer full-flavored beer to someone who has never had anything but mainstream products. So far, I have converted many friends, family member, and acquaintances.

Nate B. said...

Sorry to sound too angry. LOL! I usually don't let articles bother me too much this one just got to me though with the "beers" mentioned on the fruit thing. It bordered on the ridiculous and wanted to here others points. I didn't go home drink myself to sleep or anything. LOL

Thanks for posting over here Sara!

Cheers!

CJ said...

Yup,

I agree with Nick here. I used to hate on people who drank what I considered either bad beer, or a poor representation of craft beer. Now I just smile and say, "drink what you like". I will keep drinking what I like and sooner or later those people will come around and ask me about more interesting beers.

On a recent Colorado trip a good friend of mine pictured on this site in Nick's write up got turned on to sour ales. A couple years ago that same guy would not touch the stuff.

Peace out

Nate B. said...

Man, I didn't mean to come off as a snob, crap! I don't hate on people drinking any beer either, if I did I would be in trouble around here considering the norm. I was more disgusted with the article and the writer and the thought of what I enjoy being a fad and then using beers that true beer geeks don't even drink as their examples.
Oh well, the article made for some interesting thoughts I guess and that is the point. Bottomline, the beers mentioned are great gateway beers and I begrudge someone for drinking them, afterall, that is what my parents drink to try to fit in with me. ;-)

Nick S. said...

That's cool, Nate...we both understand your point of view. We know your personality is not that of a 'hater', your just passionate about beer...good, we hope you stay that way.

CJ said...

Nate,

I was not accussing you of being a hater, I was just speaking for myself. Sorry if there was some confusion.

Peace out

Nate B. said...

Sorry guys, didn't mean to sound like I was crying in my beer. Thanks for the kind responses, although unnecessary.