Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Fat Tire in a Can!!

That's right cans!

So I found this article on another blog, you can see it in the recommend posts section. It appears that New Belgium is going to start canning some of it's Fat Tire. I don't know if I have let it be known on here but I love craft beer in a can! I know drinking it straight from the can diminishes the aroma and therefore the enjoyment some, but I don't drink it out of the can, I will pour it into a glass when it is available. Here are the reasons I love the can.

-Smaller package means more beer in the fridge and easier to take with you in a cooler.
-The beer is more stable and usually tastes better.
-Easier to recycle in most cases, my town doesn't have glass recycling.
-Some places don't even allow bottles.
-I can sneak some on our golf course in my golf bag.
-It is great marketing, although in some cases gimmicky and I get that.

Those are just a few reasons why I love the cans. When I have gotten Fat Tire very fresh on tap it is a really good beer, but usually it is not stored well and is average in the bottle. I think this will mean that I might buy Fat Tire if it comes in the can for some everyday lake beer.

The can has it's place with craft beer though. I think Oskar blues takes it a little far with their Gordon, which is a great beer, but the high alcohol, high quality of that beer just seems to be diminished in perception by being in a can. I don't think Belgians should start packaging in cans just from a purist standpoint either, but American Craft brewers should really embrace the can as it truly is American.

So if you have never had a craft beer in a can, I encourage you to seek them out, the line from Oskar Blues is really fabulous, I am particular to Old Chub.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi.

The Celebrator 20th Anniversary Show from the Brewing Network mentioned that this *might* be happening. Below is the ttb application for labeling that was approved on 3/27. Click "Printable Version" to see the label in all it's glory.
https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicDisplaySearchBasic&ttbid=08077001000153
Clicking my name above will take you to the same place.

nickspies said...

I agree...for the same reasons too. In particular, the Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale is really good (IMO hoppy beers work well in a can). There is a certain establishment, right across the border in Iowa, that doesn't allow bottles, so I take my pale ale there ;)

WoW Killa said...

I can't tell the difference between Hopulia in a can or a bottle. They both taste great. However, nothing angers me more than good beer in bottles with twist tops that I can't recap when I brew my own. Also, I don't like clear or green bottles. I feel stupid using them even though my beers don't see much light, just because ever guide this side of alpha centari says don't use them less you're partial to light struck -- nasal skunk. ~Stash Zyka

CJ said...

The best part about craft beer in a can is that you can throw a couple of cans in your back pack when you are out on the trail on your mountain bike. Or I suppose for you hunting and fishing guys you could do the same when you are out doors doing what you do. Cans don't break like glass can.

Yup, craft beer should not be drank out of a can if you are truly looking for all the small esters and flavors. But there is a certain beauty of enjoying a beer on the trail during a break after you just hammered 10 miles of hard riding. It is the moment that you are enjoying!! Being a craft beer lover and having the ability to take craft beer just makes the moment that much better for me.

And folks, that is what it is all about!!

Peace out