Thursday, June 12, 2008

Help Nebraska Brewing out

So I got the Nebraska Brewing Newsletter in the email today, always love it when it comes in, as I am reading this they mention the events they are going to be at and even events that they aren't.

This brings me to my point, they were not able to get in on Papillion Days. FOR GOD'S SAKE THEY ARE IN PAPILLION!! They are locally owned! They constantly promote all things Papillion! They are great ambassadors. Hell, I have never truly visited Papillion but I know I will when I get a chance to just to drink some more of the Nebraska Brewing beers. I am sure I will spend some money in the area which means tax dollars.

Now, i don't know who is going to be serving beer but I guess there will be some high quality Macro-Swill ;-). Besides a distributor, they have no relationship or ties to the City of Papillion. So, fellow readers, I am begging you to contact the Papillion Days Coordinator, Racheal, and let her know that Nebraska Brewing should be involved. Be nice about it, let her know why, don't diss on what they have done because putting on events is a lot of work, but kindly inform her of the unfortunate mistake that has been made and hopefully they can rectify it by this weekend.

Papillion Days starts today but I bet they could find room in the tent if we let her know how important it is.

Thanks gang!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nate, I sent one -- thanks for the post; I missed it in their e-mail.

Anonymous said...

...and according to her response, the beer tent sponsorship contract was awarded a year in advance of the event.

Seems reasonable to me.

Nate B. said...

While that may be true and probably is, why just one tent? Why just one beer company? This is Big Beer leverage all over it pushing out the small guy. Sure this is a small deal but it is just another example of the struggle craft beer still has ahead of itself. Contacting her lets her know that more people want a selection at events. That is all we are looking for here and I am sure all Paul wants to, an option or choice.

Anonymous said...

That's a good point, Nate. Hopefully when they're planning for next year's event they'll consider multiple vendors.

I wonder if local craft brewers approached collectively for next year's tent we could push out Miller Lite (MILLER LITE!).

Paul said...

Thank you gang for your support.

You've both hit the nail on the head - in spite of the fact that a contract was awarded, getting a few kegs of NBC beer in a big brand tent is simply a matter of desire - for the contract/license holder.

I honestly don't know the details of the arrangement but we can probably assume the contract was awarded in a fashion that resulted in exclusivity. So... if the status quo is maintained, and as our distributor isn't the one with the contract, our Papillion brewery will likely never get into Papillion Days.

What we're hoping to accomplish with our little grass-roots effort is to possibly create a situation where the contracts are awarded in the future with an ability to let the local brewery have a presence.

Without the emails to the event coordinator, we may just appear as another vendor that tried and failed to get into her event. I'm not sure we got through to her though - we're not looking to try to get the entire contract - just an opening that gives us a shot to have Papillion Craft Beer as an option under the larger big brand umbrella. I'd love to see them open-minded enough to allow other Nebraska Brewers a more broad presence as well.

Thanks again guys - we'll keep pushing and your support is vital.

Paul