Friday, October 30, 2009

Lucky Bucket Brewery Tour




Myself, and a fellow beer geek friend, toured Lucky Bucket (LB) last Saturday. I arrived a few minutes past 10:00 a.m., right after they opened. I had trouble finding the place initially. Lucky for me, Jason was there early and answered the phone when I called. He saw me driving up and down the road and told me where to turn.

From I-80, take the Harrison/Giles exit. Go towards Cabela’s. Past Cabela’s, turn right (south) on 120th Street. Take your 2nd left (east) onto Centennial Rd. Immediately on your right side is the warehouse they are in. They are on the east end (Suite 1). They do not have a sign yet, but I was told soon.

Address: 11941 Centennial Rd, Suite 1, La Vista, Nebraska (402.763.8868)

Jason was a great host. He showed us around and gave us samples of their Pre-Prohibition Lager (PPL) and the Certified Evil. The Certified Evil was very nice. There are many different things going on with this beer…roasted, spicy, hoppy, big mouth-feel.

Out back that have a large expanse of concrete and a grassy hill…can you say festivals! They also have a used beer truck out back, which they purchased from a local distributor. I loved the fact they had the D.O.T. information duct-taped to the door. They are so busy getting beer out the door, certain things have to take a back seat.

Zac arrived later and we talked more about their future projects. It sounds like they were trying hard to get an IPA out around Thanksgiving. As far as the Certified Evil goes, it started hitting bars last week. Right now there are only a handful of places that have it. In Omaha, I would assume the Crescent Moon will have it soon, if they don’t already. In Lincoln, a friend told me there was a place off of ‘O’ Street on 14th that had it (Jake's). There is a sister bar in the Benson neighborhood in Omaha. On a side note, I was told Jake's in Lincoln has New Belgium’s La Folie on tap (I’ve got to get there).

Here’s to the success of our local breweries…good luck to LB.

9 comments:

-kw said...

I think it's Jake's that has it. 14th and P, across the street from the Zoo Bar. They have a place in Benson, too.
Jake's also has Lips Of Faith on tap, or they did last night, anyway.

nickspies said...

That's it. Thanks. I updated the post.

Nebraska Sustainable Agriculture Society said...

It was at the Old Chicago in the Haymarket as well.

nickspies said...

I found out last week that the Crescent Moon has Certified Evil too.

nickspies said...

Hey, William: Would you happen to be the farm Lucky Bucket is getting their spirit grain from?

Nebraska Sustainable Agriculture Society said...

No, that'd be cool. I do believe they are members of the Nebraska Sustainable Agriculture Society which I work for though. My wife and I just bought our farm and are planning on growing hops, and we are having a hops production session at the conference in February in Lincoln if anyone is interested from that end.

nickspies said...

Very cool. Do you have a Facebook account? If so, are you the one that listed they are a "UNL Alum '05" and "Cornell Alum"? We can talk more about the Society and your hop production that way.

Chris said...

SO you toured it on the 24th? THey got their signage up on the 27th. I toured it on the 28th with the OmaHops homebrew club.

Nebraska Sustainable Agriculture Society said...

Yes. We (My wife and I) went to UNL and than Cornell. Certainly, shoot me a line.