Friday, February 20, 2009

St. Meinrads from the Monks




The Modern Monks have released another beer. This one is a quad. I am not sure if there is any connection personally but the name appears to come from the Archabbey located in Indiana, so that is pretty cool. Here are the details.

St. Meinrads, the next in the Guest Brewer series, is a wonderfully fruity, malty Belgian Dark Strong beer.

The Monks teamed up with fellow brewer and AHA Home Brewer of the year award winner John Fahrer to create this special elixer. Named after St. Meinrad the patron saint of hospitality this beer is sustinace for guests and friends and is nurishment for the soul.

The Gospel of Brother Dave describes this beer as “a medoly of complex malt flavors, hinting at nectarines. A lighty spicy hop flavor sneaks just under the radar as the subtle warming of the palate takes over hinting at dangerous delights ahead. The more one ponders this beer while sipping the more the Forbidden Ale evolves. This is definately a beer to cellar.”

As a side note there is a special bottling of the St. Meinrads that is aging in a cellar until this fall when it will be released to select vendors around Lincoln. Keep an eye open for that in the future.

You can find this beer on tap at the following locations soon:

Chicken Coop- Grand Island

Thunderhead- Kearney

Bread and Cup- Lincoln

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had this at the crecent moon in Omaha on Friday night. Mighty tasty.

Nate B. said...

You suck! They hadn't tapped it at Thunderhead when I was there this weekend.

nickspies said...

Now that you mention it, Eric...I have had it at the Moon too. However, this has been on tap there for awhile now. The Moon refers to it as Modern Monks Quad...I'm wondering if is the same beer, or the St. Meinrads mentioned here is a different beer altogether. The Monks don't mention the Moon as a place to get the beer.

Nate B. said...

I wonder if it is their Double??

nickspies said...

I'm going to have to double check what the Moon is advertising the beer as. If it is being sold as the Quad, I'll ask Brent or Bill what the dilly is.

Anonymous said...

I dunno. I ordered the dubble, and the waitress said it was out and replaced with a quad. I guess I wasn't aware the Monks had two quads.

Happy Birthday Nate.

Nate B. said...

They don't have 2 quads I don't believe. Maybe they got one of the first kegs and just didn't mention the Omaha market.

I bet it was the quad then.

Nate B. said...

Thanks for the birthday note too!

nickspies said...

Jumping on the bandwagon...Happy Birthday, Nate.

nickspies said...

I will update the post with any new information I find. I may be going to the Moon tomorrow.