Thursday, December 8, 2011

Brix Beer Dinner Review






 
It was an evening of great beer, great food, and best of all…great people.  The night started with the Spiegelau presentation on their quality glassware.  This was the second time I participated in the presentation, and I’m still amazed on the science that goes into their glasses.

As part of the dinner, each person received their beer connoisseur set.  Using this set, we drank four Boulevard beers (pilsner, wheat, IPA, and porter).  Each beer tasted great out of the Spiegelau glassware.  And, I have to say, it was the best tasting Boulevard Wheat I’ve ever had.

I’ve been convinced for some time that the standard 16 oz. (to the very top of the glass no less) shaker-style pint glasses are a horrible way to enjoy quality craft beer.  This presentation only reinforced that notion even more.  So, please, show the craft beer industry some justice…drink their beer from quality glassware, not some shaker glass made for mixed drinks.

The second part of the evening was a beer-pairing dinner.  The Brix chef and his staff made some amazing food.  My favorite was the pasta made from Blue Hubbard squash.  Wow, probably the best pasta I’ve ever had.

Each course was paired with a matching beer (click the menu image above to enlarge).  And what a great line-up of beers.  Two of which are very rare, and one of those was served for first time in Nebraska.  I’m speaking of the Avec les Bons Voeux de la Brasserie Dupont.  A fantastic farmhouse ale from the Dupont brewery.

I would definitely recommend Brix for future beer dinners and events.  Matt Stichfield (a certified Cicerone) knows his stuff and puts on a great event.
 

No comments: